Know about 10 foods that will help you in controlling uric acid levels. Basically Uric acid is a type of chemical produced by the body when it breaks down purines. Increase in uric acid levels in the body can lead to “gout”. Gout is a form of arthritis that can cause pain or tenderness in joints, especially in toes and ankles. High levels of uric acid in urine can also be a sign of kidney stones. Symptoms of kidney stones include sever pain in lower back, frequent urination, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills. Eating too much foods containing purines, liver diseases, obesity, kidney diseases or bone marrow disorders are the main causes of high levels of uric acid in the blood.
Given below are the foods that can help in controlling your uric acid levels :
1. Green Tea : Green tea is a protein antioxidant that helps in slowing down the production of enzymes related to uric acid formation. It helps in controlling uric acid levels in the body and lowers risks of developing gout.
2. Apple cider vinegar : Apple cider vinegar helps in controlling uric acid levels. Drinking apple cider vinegar breaks up the uric acid crystals and prevents them from reforming in the joints by aiding blood circulation and purification.
3. Foods rich in Vitamin C : Foods containing Vitamin C can be very helpful in controlling uric acid levels in the body. Citrus fruits like oranges, lime, guava, Broccoli and bell pepper are all rich sources of Vitamin C.
4. Foods rich in fibre : Foods containing fibre are very helpful in controlling uric acid levels in the body. These foods include leafy green vegies, oats, whole grains, broccoli, pumpkin, pears, celery, cucumbers, blueberries, apples, oranges etc.
5. Cherries : Anthocyanins in cherries helps in controlling levels of uric acid in the body. Cherries also prevent formation of crystals and accumulation of uric acid in the joints.
6. Fresh vegetable juices : Fresh vegetables juice is really helpful in controlling uric acid level. Carrot, cucumber and beetroot juice is an effective home remedy for controlling uric acid levels in the body.
7. Low fat dairy products : Use of low fat dairy products can prevent from increase of uric acid levels in the blood. Low fat products include skimmed milk and almond milk.
8. Olive oil : Olive oil has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that are very helpful in controlling levels of uric acid in the blood.
9. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids : Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids like salmon, flax seeds, and walnuts can help in reducing inflammation and swelling in the joints .
10. Drinking More Water : Drinking lots of water on daily basis can control the uric acid levels in the body. Water helps in eliminating harmful toxins from the body including excessive uric acid.
Source : NDTV Doctor